Monday, July 24, 2006

Shocking Incident
How many times have we come across Municipality workers, doing their assigned chores, without any kind of protective gear! A common sight ... isn't it? But, recently what I saw was far from common or was it really not that uncommon?

I was on my way to F. C. Road, when just after the Pulgate crossing, there was a huge traffic jam. I was confused as there were no signs of road accidents. I observed everyone was looking up, and I followed, but the sight which awaited was terrible. My heart stopped beating, I couldn't breathe...I quickly looked away, I tried to drive away fast but the whole traffic was stalled and I couldn't get out of there. I tried to manoeuver my car so that I can take a turn and go some other way...but there were electricity wires strewn on the road. I was helpless, and my eyes fell on that electricity pole again. A boys dead body was hanging upside down from the pole, his legs were entwined and his torso was dangling down, lifeless. Another man, on top of the pole was trying to pull him up, he caught hold of his hand and pulled the boy's body up, but the hand slipped and the body swayed in an awkward position. I couldn't look anymore!

I had to get out of there, somehow I managed to make someway and get out of there, as more and more people were stopping by to take a look. I found it disgusting, as all these people were there only to watch the tamasha. I agree the workers were helping to get the body down quickly but simply gathering around and watching, as if some show was on, disgusted me more. I wonder if somebody had called an ambulance or no. I agree neither did I call an ambulance, well how often are you confronted with such sights, so as to have the sense to call up an ambulance. I bet when others surely had the hearts to watch such a sight, they would indeed have had the guts to react and call an ambulance.

That was the first time in my life that I saw a dead body from this close. I was disturbed, rather the sight still flashes in front of my eyes. Later, I thought, how we don't value life in India. This is just one incident there may be hundreds of them happening everyday, in each city, all because of faulty practices. Probably the accident that I saw, could have been avoided if proper safety precautions were taken. A household's bread-winner wouldn't have been lost.

I don't know how to curse the government. I wonder if God will have to construct a VIP hell for them, something beyond imagination. I bet, God surely has some surprises awaiting these politicians. But whats the use cursing them? How proactive are we? What have we done for the nation? I don't know .. everywhere you go...TV channels, Movies .. everyone is talking about it.. thousand more are talking of getting inspired from it.. but why dont I see any action? Probably I am the wrong person to be asking such questions... after all I wasn't even inspired, neither have I acted on a thing, with patriotism being the cause for it.

Most people say... my blogs have a negative streak to them. All the stories I write are sad and painful. But, this is not a story, its a true incident. How much does this hurt you? I bet all my stories look subtle in the face of harsh reality.

Do call up the ambulance if you come across such situation. It was my first, and I am sharing my experience so that you do not make the same mistake, which I committed.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey good to hear that atleast some people here care about the things happening outside their life.... but as you pointed out we aren't that proactive enuf to do anything to prevent it.... and maybe the people who were standing there watching the 'Tamasha' as you said were thinking the same thing....

Anonymous said...

hey good to hear that atleast some people here care about the things happening outside their life.... but as you pointed out we aren't that proactive enuf to do anything to prevent it.... and maybe the people who were standing there watching the 'Tamasha' as you said were thinking the same thing....

Vatsal Raicha said...

What Are you so mad at?

Kakshi said...

Umesh yes you have a point... I bet in that crowd there were many who were in the same situation as mine... but then I also saw some others who weren't...
Shweta

Kakshi said...

Vatsal..
Just one word is enough to describe what I am mad at 'Carelessness'
Apply it to any person (including me)... and you will get the answer.
Shweta

Vatsal Raicha said...

Only few people can help..in sucha situation...not everybody can go up there and help.....and also some people stand there just in case if some help is needed....and yes there are some people who are there just to watch...but again not everybody is standing there just to watch whats going on...

Kakshi said...

Vatsal ...
I agree that it was such a situation that nobody can actually help coz they will be putting themselves in danger...but then that's not wat disturbs me ...
That boy's death is what disturbs me...
Shweta

Vatsal Raicha said...

Death is inevitable....
and you cannot and shud not curse anybody(govt, you,me or anybody else)

mechie8682 said...

hmm... that reminds me.. there was a story about a kid in india getting trapped in a bore well some couple days back. do you know what happened to him? i did not care enough to follow the story up on the web.

Movie Mazaa said...

when its all that one sees around oneself these days, i wudnt really blame u for coming up with posts with a negative streak.

evocative post!
:)

Kakshi said...

@Mechie
That incident was simply given a lot of unnecessary importance and coverage..everyone milked the cow..rite from media to ministers etc..

@Velu
Thanks Velu...I thot sharing this will make us all aware and probably even makes a difference somewhere :)
Lets hope for the best.. atleast hope doesnt cost anything :D


-Shweta

Prasoon said...

have seen death even closer n i still question the god - WHY !!
road accident it was and i lost someone in my family - its 7 years now but the wounds are far from healed..
i can understand how you would've felt seeing a body which lied breathless there...
drive safe bcoz you never know the person whoz head of you - he makes a mistake and everyone behind him suffers

Kakshi said...

Im sorry Prasoon...I understand how it feels...even we had met with a terrible accident...which thankfully didnt take any lives..thank God...but surely has left some permanent scars which remind us each day, each moment about that fateful evening.
It must be really tough for you, I understand completely, I pray for you. Take good care of yourself!
Shweta

Movie Mazaa said...

wanted urgently!
an update - a new post!
:) ;)

Movie Mazaa said...

wanted urgently!
an update - a new post!
:) ;)

Kakshi said...

Patience pays! :)

Dh@v@! said...

Yeah watching a dead body from so close is really disturbing…
And it really hurts when u know that u can’t do anything now… and ppl around u are not bothered at all…

Kakshi said...

Thanks Dhaval..for sharing your views..

Curious said...

Great to share your thoughts and concerns here...I faced a similar situation...and called up 100...which was the only number I remembered. The women on the other side of the phone questioned me as if I had murdered someone and threw him...I had to explain them the whole scene.So, you see the reason why people don't get involved is "kaun padega jhamele me" so until and unless we get away with the attitude we can't help things...its WE who have to over come this attitude...no one else ..not the govt nor the politicians...WE have to decide what we want in our society and what we don't

Kakshi said...

I completely agree with you..its WE who can make impossible, possible...
Shweta

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »